An Introduction to the history of the Six Streets Area Six Streets comprises of terraces of houses built after 1901, with a group of semi-detached and detached houses added in the 1920s-1930s. A small cluster of chalet houses were added in 1960 – known by locals at the time as “Noddy Houses”.
At the heart of the Six Streets area you can glimpse hints of its past – at the junction of Park Grove and White Street the late Georgian house “Parkfields” built in the 1820s for the Cox family survives – a white villa now surrounded by houses and gardens. It originally stood in a park that stretched down the hill to Kedleston Road, with a view across to the West End and Markeaton Brook. The house was reached by a carriage-way still marked by the line of Wheeldon Avenue. The land was sold for development in 1900 following the death of the park’s then owner George Wheeldon, and it is from here the street names “Wheeldon Avenue” and “Statham Street” originate (Emma Statham was his wife). The origins of the names “White Street” and “Bromley Street” continue to elude us.
Five streets were laid out with building plots that were then sold to individual builders and blocks of houses – two, four, six and eight – with individual designs filling in the gaps - appeared over the next few years. Most building plots had been filled by 1910 but it was a gradual process. In the 1920s more land immediately surrounding “Parkfields” was sold off and the sixth street – Parkfields Drive - was laid out on the site of former gardens and outbuildings. At the same time the house was split into three homes. Another glimpse of the past can be seen in the survival of the “ha-ha” (a sunken stone wall built to keep sheep and cattle from wandering too close to the house) in the gardens along Park Grove. Even today, people digging in their gardens come across old clay smoking pipes some dating back to the late 1790s – a glimpse of a past era!